The cycle of going on and off a diet is every teenage girls’ forever curse. We all dream of the Victoria Secret’s slender figure and lean legs, but there is always the extra fat that is stopping us from achieving our desired bodies. So we declare war on our greatest enemy － we go on low-fat weight loss diets. We fight, we starve, and we can never win. Why doesn’t it ever work?!
Well, recently a research conducted by Harvard Medical School’s David Ludwig reveals that the dietary fat is not a major determinant of body fat. Moreover, it is essential for us to consume a certain amount of fat in order for our brain, heart, skin, and organs to function properly.
According to the website, We Be Healthy, the reasons why low-fat diets does not work are:
- Eating fat does not make you fat because our body does not consume our dietary fat as body fat.
- Eliminating fat will increase hunger because fat helps us feel full.
- Reduced consumption in fat will increase the consumption of carbohydrate. When we do not consume enough fat, our body will convert carbohydrates into glucose and store them as fat.
- Reduced consumption in fat will increase the consumption of sugar and salt because most low-fat processed foods add sugar and salt to improve taste.
- Reduced consumption in fat will increase the process of digestion and absorption.
Please be careful and considerate before going on weight-loss diets. Sometimes extreme diets will jeopardize your health.
– Jolin –